I’ve recently become a little obsessed over outdoor fabric. I seem to find much prettier and modern prints at my local fabric store in outdoor prints, but I never realized how much more versatile the material is. Not only is it pretty for pillows, but it also keeps clean as place mats (since it’s stain repellent) and can be used as art on a patio!
In my pre-blogging days, I still DIYed a project or two, like these:
I used them as cheap “art canvases” in our hallway.
To make them, I cut out four pieces of plywood, each 1’x1′. I chose a pretty piece of fabric (you’ll notice I’ve done this twice already!) and, used a staple gun to attach each piece securely into place.
Originally I had hung them with velcro command strips. I’ve had them cluttering up the our bedroom floor for a while, and I had yet to find a place for them in this apartment… Until I realized they would be perfect with the nautical colours I’m using for our patio!
The must-have before shot:
The rental patio… Pretty bland, must like the rest of our place. I wanted to add some privacy to either side. The view from this angle isn’t too much of an eyesore (more on the other side later), so I just needed something small. My canvases fit the bill!
To put them up, I used some extra wire I had left over from a Christmas project and again, my trusty staple gun.
Total Material Needed: a staple gun, wire, pliers to cut the wire, a level, a tape measure, hammer and nail, outdoor fabric and precut plywood.
I started off by attaching two canvases together with two pieces of wire.
With the weight of the wire, the staples didn’t push down completely flush to the plywood. To keep them in place, I just bent the wire back. Holds easily :)
I followed the same process on the bottom frame. To keep it level, I recommend stapling the same distance apart and of course, keeping the wire the same length. Keep the bottom staples entirely level to avoid falling crooked to one side. That being said, don’t worry about it being perfect. Because the wire is only bent in place, not fastened, it’s easy to adjust once you’re done.
On the top end, I attached one long piece of wire, and hung it on a nail above our balcony. Simple.
I had to tweak them a bit, but it was such an easy project. I’m surprised at how happy I am with the result!
Since I already had the canvases, it only took about an hour to put together. My patio is starting to take shape… Here it was this morning:
And this afternoon with my newly hung floating art:
There’s a little sneak peak of the patio furniture I just finished too… Pretty excited to show you all! I would today, but the paint needs to fully dry before I can style it.
Total costs for this project:
I already had everything on hand. It’s still super budget-friendly though: less than two yards of fabric and a bit of wire and plywood. Cheap cheap cheap.
Check back Wednesday to see my new patio furniture. Pretty exciting what
a can a few cans of spray paint can do!